Thursday, July 28, 2011

creating a sandstorm.

it all began with a Christmas present. My sister got me an electric sander for Christmas since we were always talking about furniture remodels and different ideas to redecorate. It is present that has been used continuously! My first project was a barstool for my parent's kitchen. They had just finished remodeling the kitchen and one of the barstools under the island needed to painted black, so I put my lil Black n Decker sand mouse to use, sanded the chair and painted it black. The next project was something a bit greater! On Monday, I am moving into a new apartment and our color scheme is teal, yellow, black and white! To have that burst of color in the kitchen we went for a bright yellow kitchen table! As of right now, there are no pictures but some are are sure to pop up! In my room of my apartment I'm doing peach, turqoise, whites and khakis with burlap accents to go for the shabby chic look! Again I don't have a before picture, but my mom found a wooden dresser at Goodwill for $25!! So i painted it a peachy/coral and was very pleased with how it turned out against the hardware!




My parents are coming tomorrow to move stuff out of one place, bring it home for the weekend and then move back into a new place Monday. I have the best parents in the whole wide world! However, I'm still in the midst of a project for the room before move...A DOOR DESK!!! This project has truly been a project that God has had His hand all over. I was looking for doors which were ranging from $25-50 at some antique stores. I went to Lowe's and Home Depot and the prices on sawhorses were ridiculous so I started questioning if I should do it because pricing could get out of hand. That night my mom called saying that a great family friend, Cathy, had just found some sawhorses from IKEA for $10 and got them for me for my desk!! Crazy right?!?! God is good! So then I became hopeful for my door desk again :) I found a great deal on a basic old door at this wonderful antique store called Reed's Odds & Ends for $25! If you are ever in Watkinsville I highly recommend stopping by! I got a 16" iron skillet for $20 too and its real! Made in Taiwan! I also got a great flat, golden bowl to hold jewelery in on my dresser that they threw in for free! So I've begun sanding the dirt, paint, and anything else that may be on the door and dust is flying everywhere. I have created a beach, minus the water, in my backyard! But surprise! The door i thought was JUST white but no its wonderfully been painted over with a light pink and light blue underneath the white so sanding this marvelous piece of fine wood has been a surprise beauty! So I'm planning on leaving it sanded to show the colors and shabbyness, all i have to do now is put in God's hands on how to get a glass covering to put on top. Here is the before shot of the door, I'll post the final picture of the desk when it is finished :)



Well better start packing up my room for the next place...I've lived in a different place every year since high school graduation, fortunately this is the first time I've had to move from a different place to another and it's in the same state...actually 10 minutes away :)

1 comment: